Saturday 8 January 2011

Locked in a basement in Halifax






That's where I am now. I'm not complaining as I have the entire dorm to myself. Apparently Halifax is deader than dead at this time of year. Not sure why, it's warmer than Montreal was! I do hope nobody decides to turn up and stay in this room as well, because it's currently decorated with my washing. The dryer didn't work and I wasn't paying another $1.25 to try the other one. Oh well. The receptionist scared the shit out of me when he tried to open the door a while back. I stuck my head out and was like 'WTF?!' and he was like 'I just wanted to make sure you'd locked it' which was nice to know that he cared.

So, Montreal. Was fun, although speaking more French would've been good. Managed a few half conversations so I think I deserve a pat on the back. I went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, the biosphere (where I took photos for mother as they had an exhibition on making outfits from waste materials) and I took a walk around the gay village and Mont Royal park. A lot of stuff was closed due to the weather. Walking around Montreal was not fun (which is why they have many miles of tunnels built under the city to link important places so that people don't die) as the snow had begun to thaw. And then there was more snow. So you ended up with snow over black ice. Not good. The metro is a bit weird too as the doors have an unnerving habit of opening before the train actually stops. Other things that happened in Montreal include me getting asked for money by a woman in a fur coat (?!), arguing with Lance and Nanoo over various things including super-colliders in Texas, having wine with Lance and Paul (the hostel owner), Paul letting me check out late, eating vegetarian poutine, and getting seriously started with househunting with Kirsty.

Ottawa was very confusing. I spent the day at the national gallery. I can safely say that modern art DOESN'T make me want to rock out. Some of it what quite cool but a lot of it made me think eh?! A blind toddler could've done that. There are no pictures from Ottawa. There wasn't really anything I wanted to photograph lol.

The train to Halifax. The first bit was shitty. The train was uber-booked and I was sat next to a very fidgety woman who only spoke French. So yeah, that was pretty crappy. The upside was, she got off at Bathurst (an early-ish morning stop) which gave me the opportunity to snaffle both seats and go back to sleep. There wasn't much to see view-wise and we got delayed by an hour thanks to a broken down freight train but it was all good. Halifax seems very nice so far. Also, my hostel was literally just round the corner from the station so I looked like a bit of an idiot with my $3-something cab fare. Tbf, the driver also reckoned that I probably wouldn't have made it with my crap.

In other news, I only got onto one of my course selections at Vic. so now I'm having to make some more lol. This university is le stupid.

In other other news, I have blisters on my fingers, a gash on my ankle and my handbag has broken. The question is, do I get a new one in Halifax or wait until New York?

No comments:

Post a Comment