Tuesday 1 February 2011

The Fran o'clock news


Good evening. Here is a round up of today's news in the land of Fran:

- My camera appears to be working again. The man in the shop blamed the weather (was he secretly English?) and then tried to sell me a new one.
- For $8.75 I got myself a pair of turquoise capri pants, so I at least have something for my first few hours in Fiji. And they come below my knee, so I don't need to wear my sarong with them.
- The housing situation is down to two houses. On the same road. I know which one I prefer but it looks like we could be at a massive loggerheads situation here. We'll see how this pans out. I'm really hoping that somebody snaps up the house I'm not so keen on so that it resolves the situation.
- I've just spent nearly two hours talking to Farah on Skype. She seems nice and whilst I do see her points, I'm not sure if she can see mine. Maybe I don't articulate myself very well, so I shall try to explain things here in the hope that I make more sense. I'm hoping to get hold of one of the parentals in the next few hours to discuss things with them.

House no.1 (the one I want)

- 4 bedrooms
- Has a tennant already there who will be continuing to live there.
- As there is already a tennant, less faffing about with the bills.
- Is let by a lady
- £240/month
- Comes with tv
- Only single-glazed

House no. 2

- 3 bedrooms
- Is let by an agency
- £260/month
- No tv
- Double-glazed
- All bedrooms are doubles

Now, to me it seems obvious why we should have house no.1 The arguments against it go thus:

- Farah doesn't want to live with a guy
- Only single-glazed so will cost more
- Is bigger than house no. 2 so bills will be more
- 3 people = closer knit house.

I appreciate the points being made but here is why I think house no.1 is better

- Rent is less.
- House is bigger
- I've seen pics of it
- I have never known a house of 3 to work peacefully. It often ends up with 2 people being buddy-buddy and the other person being a spare. At UBC I lived on the same floor as nearly 40 people are it was the most harmonious place I've lived because there were more options for hanging out etc.
- The thought of an all-female house terrifies me slightly (I get on better with blokes. That's fairly obvious from the fact that all bar one of my closest friends are blokes.)
- I genuinely don't think that £20 extra/month for a house on the exact same street can be justified by it having double-glazing/less room to heat.
- Inigo used to pay £260-ish for his old room which was including all the bills so I really don't see how it's justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment