Thursday 23 September 2010

Keep calm and carry on

I know I've been a bit slack the past couple of days but things have been busy.

Yesterday I took a trip with Haitham to the uni counselling services. I will caps lock this because it is important DON'T PANIC! EVERYTHING IS FINE! As my RA, he can book appointments for me so we went and I had a little chat to the people there, mainly to find out what services there were and what help was available if I start to feel uber meh. I was given a list of 70-something things that people find help when they are stressing out/feeling meh which looks like being quite useful. I fully advise everybody to check out what services are available at their university, whether they study at home or abroad. You never know when you may need them and once they're aware of you, it becomes a lot easier to get the help you need (unless you go to DOS at UEA. I found them to be thoroughly unhelpful and felt like I wasn't being taken seriously.) Also, don't be afraid to go and talk to your doctor if you feel like shit. They have seen it all before, believe me. So myself and Haitham will also be popping in to the student health centre (I think we're aiming for Friday) just to make them aware of my issues and to see if they can help. If we can maybe start getting me treated now, that'd be cool but they will probably be quite reluctant to due to me not being here that long. It's a little irritating that this wasn't sorted out at UEA but there you go.

So yeah, the short of this is, UBC has much better support systems in place than UEA did. I wish I'd had someone like Haitham I could turn to for help in my first year, perhaps things wouldn't have gone so badly wrong.

In other news, I will soon be setting up yet another blog because for one of my modules, I can submit a creative writing journal in the form of a blog in lieu of handing in a term paper. I like this very much. You may not want to read this blog. It will be very depressing as it's for my war module.

Today I discovered the Pond Cafe which serves spiced chai lattes. This is possibly one of the best discoveries so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment