Thursday 21 October 2010

Whales > Wales









So, I went whale watching on Sunday. I nearly missed the shuttle bus because I got lost after I got off the UBC bus. Anyway, we drove to the village of Steveston, which is in Richmond. Richmond is the city next to Vancouver. As in, you drive over the overpass by the airport and you're in Richmond. If this were England, they'd probably be the same city. Anyway. En route we passed the Olympic speed skating rink which is being turned into just a normal rink and they're building luxury condos next to it, in case you were wondering.

On the boat I got a seat near the front next to one of the sliding windows (the windows slide up so you can get a good view) and the people behind me were British. I say British, it was a man and his daughter and he was Chatham but had moved to Maple Ridge 15 years ago so his daughter was Canadian.

Anyhoo, we pulled out of the harbour and went around a bit. We saw some snow geese, seals and a bald eagle, but no whales. This was a worry. Then our on board biologist said they'd heard there was a lone male whale at so and so, so we were going to see if we could find him. Turns out there were quite a few. We also saw some diving ducks. Anyway, whales. They were orca whales and I tried to photograph film them but my camera died so I tried to use my phone and it was hard because they're moving and I couldn't see because of the glare/I wasn't looking through the lens. Sorry about that. If you could insert a memory card into my brain I could show you how cool it was.

Afterwards we had half an hour until the shuttle came back so I went to a candy store and bought Wonka bottle caps, which I hoped would be like Fizzy Jerkz. They're chalky rather than hard boiled and not that nice. Gah. Knew I should've gotten Jolly Ranchers.

In other news, I got my mark for my William Carlos Williams presentation today. I got a B+ which I'm reliably told is good. I'm also told that the magical 2.75 average I need is roundabout a C+ or B-. Let us hope that I continue this. I'm currently 'writing' the essay for that class, due on Monday. I've written the introduction. It's taking a while because she wants me to use a different citation system to the one I'm used to. The general gist of this essay is: I hate William Carlos Williams. We both hate T.S. Eliot. I discuss why WCW hates TSE so much and why he attacks him in Paterson. This could be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment