Monday 25 October 2010

Thunderbirds are go!






Last night I went to see the Varsity basketball. It was UBC Thunderbirds Vs Saskatchewan Huskies. Seara invited me and we went with Russell and Sandra.

I'd never seen basketball before. My knowledge of it was based on PE lessons which generally involved at lot of people clawing at other peoples faces. Sandra spent a lot of the match explaining it to me and discussing the relative hotness of the players. This was tricky because I didn't have my glasses on, so everything appeared in a sort of soft focus. My favourite was no. 7 Alex Murphy, but as I reasoned with Sandra, they were all about a foot and a half taller than me (ok, the Thunderbirds website says he's only 6ft 1, making him the second shortest on the team. There you go.) My father will get this reference: the UBC coach looked like the fat doctor.

During the half time break, I went to the beer garden. As I may have mentioned to some of you, beer garden is not what it is back home. A beer garden over here tends to be an unlicensed thing behind a table where they pull out cans from a box and give them to you in exchange for a beer ticket. The ones I've been to before have had a couple of drinks available. This one gave me a choice of Molson Canadian, a lager, or nothing. I'd already bought my ticket so I didn't have much choice. I thought, ok, I'll take this back and share it with the others. This is when I saw the 'NO BEER PAST THIS POINT' sign, so I was forced to gulp back the stuff.

UBC were getting absolutely owned until the third quarter when they pulled it back and took the lead. During the third quarter break, they had the captain of the women's team seeing how many shots she could score in 30 secs. For every one she got, UBC athletics would add $100 to the amount already raised for the Think Pink breast cancer campaign. She scored 16 baskets (though I only counted 15) so that was good! UBC then had the lead until the dying seconds of the game until a dodgy decision by the ref. gave the Huskies two free shots and they scored both of them. We ended up losing 96 - 97 :(

We all agreed it was a great evening out and are planning on going to more events, especially the football, if only so Russell can explain it to me. As far as I can see, they took the shit bits of football and rugby and made a sport out of them. Whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment